Monday, September 26, 2011

School went much better today. I got advice from a friend Sunday that some kids just shouldn't even start reading and math until 8 or older. Of course her kids are smart, as are all the kids of my other friends. Would be nice to have someone in my boat. But anyway, today we moved on in lessons, but instead of the 2 pages that went with the lesson...we did one. He did really well. I think the fact that he was threatened with not going to his field trip to the Everglades this week if he didn't pay attention in school, might have helped. 


I think...I hope I'm not jinxing myself in saying this...but I think he is getting the concept of numbers over 20. He did so well today. He acted like he understood it and I feel like we've made some progress. After about 45 minutes mind rest from his first math paper I brought out his second. He did it and did it well. Homeschooling success.


I am just so thankful he is grasping reading pretty easily. He knows more sounds than he knows names of the letters....but whatever. 

3 comments:

Emily Tarter said...

Praise God for a day of success!! I'm nervous about what my homeschooling future holds! Glad to see that it's not a walk in the park for everyone, so when I run into days like you had the other day I will know I'm not the only one! :)

kingsnakedmd said...

I am a public schooler, but we face many of the same challenges. I have yelled at my kids trying to get them to get math concepts- which of course didn't work. We have held back 2 of ours over the years. One child that we had repeat K-4 is now our straight A student who comes home from school taught with her homework already done. Another daughter IN THE SAME CLASSROOM is going to be starting tutoring by her teacher twice a week in hopes of getting her through the FCAT. We all sit at the same table for 1-3 hours every night from Monday-Thursday and Sunday afternoons doing homework and yet drastically different results. My hearing impaired son is a year behind and may be held back again. He doesn't learn any word unless you teach it to him over and over. You are not alone in your struggling, and there are people out there who think they are brilliant teachers when God has merely given them brilliant kids. Trust me.

Amanda said...

Emily - I get so sick of hearing about everyone's great success. No one ever talks about their struggles. I don't want to be like that. I straight up tell people that I hate homeschooling. But this is what God has given me and I feel they need to be home with me. So I write about how much it totally sucks sometimes. ;o)